Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Singing (and being stylish) in the Rain

Hi She She!

I recently moved from Atlanta to Seattle. Summer was gorgeous here, but the fall/winter rain is starting to settle in. I live in town and walk everywhere. Any suggestions for a styling hat to keep my head dry this winter? Thanks for the help!
Karen


Hi Karen! Rain can definitely wreak havoc with your coiffure. Hats, very often, tend to do the exact same thing! It's a bit difficult to find a stylish solution, especially of the waterproof variety. Personally, I have a couple of the Seattle Sombreros (one in red, one in black) which I wear here in the equally wet and blustery San Francisco area. They do the job well, and without causing hideous hat hair. Another option is this weatherproof cloche, which is also fleece lined for extra warmth. A little sleeker, less sporty than the Seattle Sombrero, but great for tucking into a pocket.



As a general rule, however, I like to wear a knit cloche or newsboy cap for warmth, and carry a large, very chic umbrella (the kind with the hook at the end, which allows me to hang it over my arm when not in use, and free up my hands) to protect me from the rain. You will probably find the ubiquitous umbrella everywhere in Seattle, as I do here in the Bay area. In fact, it's a good idea to keep a few on hand; in the car, at the office, etc. because they tend to disappear (only to resurface in your best friend's closet come July!

No comments: