Friday, November 17, 2006

Holiday Party Frocks Redux

Dear She She Me, Fashion dilemma! The company office party is in three weeks, and I've no idea what to wear. I work for an Investment Firm, and am the Head of Marketing. Investment firm = conservative. Marketing = creative. What to do. I have a great Azria dress, but it has thin straps, and I don't know how comfortable I feel baring that much shoulder. Help me please, I don't want to do the standard LBD, but I don't want to look like I just changed out my top from my usual office duds. Thanks, Kari

This is the most typical dilemma regarding holiday office parties. You want to maintain your chic and professional style, but at the same time it's the holidays! You want to be able to sparkle a little, no? The most important thing to bear in mind is that even though it's a party, it is still a professional environment, so you really do need to maintain professional standards. Remember the rules, dear girl: keep it simple, keep it chic. Stay away from anything too bare, revealing, fussy or glitzy. Your Azria would be sublime, but the thin straps probably display a bit more skin than is professionally proper. One solution would be to wear a coordinating bolero, or perhaps a sheer or lace cover. Even a satin wrap top would work, depending upon the style of the dress. To offset the deeply plunging neckline of many of today's cocktail dresses, a delicate lace cami or metallic cami does the trick beautifully!

An elegant sheath, or perhaps a party style dress, with a festive fuller skirt would be a great choice. As would be a feminine top and a satin or velvet skirt. Depending upon the formality of the occasion, you could also go with trouser in a satin or velvet, or perhaps a tuxedo style suit, paired with a gorgeous blouse.


Shoes. This is where you can be a bit more daring than usual. Elegant slingbacks, pretty peeptoes, even sparkly sandals. Keep the heel height below 3 1/2inches - no stilettos. An elegant little handbag or clutch, a bit of sparkle at the wrist and ears and you are good to go.

3 comments:

Jules said...

LOVE the embroidered skirt! I always tend to think of holiday parties as occasions for the standard little black dress. I like the idea of a girly skirt and an elegant top. I also agree that if one feels the need to show a more alluring and feminine side, a stunning pair of shoes is the way to go. Shoes can be very sexy!

Jules said...

LOVE the embroidered skirt! I always tend to think of holiday parties as occasions for the standard little black dress. I like the idea of a girly skirt and an elegant top. I also agree that if one feels the need to show a more alluring and feminine side, a stunning pair of shoes is the way to go. Shoes can be very sexy!

Arabella said...

I totally agree with the sexy shoes! But you have to be careful too. Nothing trashes a girl's sophisticated image faster than street-walker shoes! Shoes that are too high or on too tall a platform tend to cheapen a girl's look. I'd say stick with 3.5 inches or less. You can go a little higher with a platform, but no higher than 4 inches. And stay away from anything that dangles from your anklestraps!