Monday, December 04, 2006

To Glove or Not To Glove

Dear She She, Hubby and I are attending a black tie wedding this December in Manhattan. To play it safe I've procured a black floor-length gown (more sheath than ball gown), but I'd like to snazz it up a bit. I thought of wearing opera-length black gloves, but are they totally out of style? I ask because none of the department stores seem to have them right now. I don't go to formal events all that much, especially in winter (which we don't really have in south Texas). What about shoes? Or wraps? I'd like to have some color somewhere in my ensemble. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks much, Tex

Dearest Tex,
You are certainly on the right track with a floor length sheath, a very elegant choice indeed. While opera length gloves would certainly be appropriate, and give your ensemble a very chic edge, I would suggest wearing them only during the ceremony itself. Gloves should not be worn when one is eating (yes, even nibbling!) Opera length gloves can be unbuttoned and folded back, tucking the empty finger portion back under the wrist, when one is holding a drink.

I would opt for a pair of gorgeous evening shoes in a comfortable height for dancing. Stay away from teetering heels; choose something you can move in, but still drop dead gorgeous. A metallic gold, silver or bronze will give a boost to the black dress.

As for accessories, a luxurious velvet or raw silk wrap in a deep jewel tone will tie the ensemble together. Keep the jewelry simple; an elegant necklace and classic earrings. Finish off your look with a chic evening bag that coordinates with either your wrap or your shoes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We all have that little black party dress that's just perfect for any occassion...but this year I added that little extra festive sparkle with a silk and pashmina stole from ZenTrend.com. This beautiful stole, available in two must-have colors merry red and classic black)is the ideal accent for turning drab into fab this season with its crystal accents.

http://zentrend.com/acc1.html