Friday, January 26, 2007

Empire Styles That Flatter the Figure

Hi She She! Love your blog and am hoping you can help. I adore the baby-doll look and want to look smashing and not like I'm expecting, if you know what I mean. I'm very well-endowed in top , fairly curvy and of above-average height. Is this a look I can pull off? Thanks!

Yes, dearest girl, this is still a look you can pull off. Look for an empire style dress with a minimum of gathering below the bustline. Some empire styles fall directly from the bust, others fall from a band below the bust. Try on both styles to see which flatters your figure more. Keep the gathering minimum (to avoid the prego look). Also, make sure that the fullness of the dress is consistent both front and back (this is another thing prego dresses do is put the fullness all in front).
Stay away from scoop neck styles, as these tend to emphasize a larger bust. Stick with strappy styles, v-neck or even wrap front styles. Empire tops also look fabulous when worn with a fitted blazer. Happy shopping!

2 comments:

ambika said...

More true words were never spoken. Any time I've tried on an empire anything (dress, top), if there are pleats are any kind of excess fabric, I look like I'm 4 months along. Just tragic.

Anonymous said...

I have found that an empire waist that sits a little lower than my bustline emphasizes the more slender part of my ribcage and doesn't give the effect of a pregnant belly. Also, if it just skims the hips and thighs - too much fabric floating around there looks like it needs to be filled!