Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Spring Break Style

Hi, I am a 20 year old girl who is going to Italy this spring break with my friends. I want to look very stylish and hot, especially for all of those tall, dark, handsome Italian boys! What are some wardrobe staples that you think are a must? I am slender and have great legs, but a pretty flat chest, so I want to highlight my in-shape body and not draw attention to my chest. And I'm also looking for a handbag that will be easy to match with my clothes and big enough to hold everything I need. What do you think? Thanks! Amber

What a fabulous way to spend spring break; so much more chic than a beachfront motel full of crazy students! First and foremost, travel light. This leaves room to bring back fabu souvenirs (read: Italian shoes) and trinkets (read: Italian handbags). Go with a basic mix and match type travel wardrobe. Since spring in Italy can be as temperamental as springtime anywhere, I would choose a great wool blazer that can double as an overcoat. Pair this with denim jeans or khaki trousers and a tee for casual wear, or wide legged trousers and a lightweight sweater for a more chic look.

A couple of skirts (lightweight silk or jersey makes for easy and wrinkle free travel), and tops that are not too clingy but give a little more boost to the bust. Also, empire, wrap and surplice styles are the most flattering for a girl with a modest cleavage. Bear in mind that many of the religious sites (cathedrals, museums, etc) have a dress code and do not allow trousers, shorts or very short skirts. To highlight your gorgeous gams, choose a flirty skirt that is knee length or just above the knee. One classic LBD for dinner in a fabulous restaurant with a gorgeous Italian guy!

Don't forget footwear! Ballet flats are very comfortable for the miles and miles of foot travel involved and so much more chic than trainers. For dressier occasions, a pair of classic mid heel pumps will work with both trousers and skirts.

Handbag choices: make sure it has a zip compartment for your important documents, wallet and travel papers. Shoulder straps are best because you will need to free up your hands for carrying shopping bags! Deeper is better than wider because it doesn't get in the way as much. One trick I have learned in my travels: keep your bits and pieces in a couple of separate little zipper bags (like makeup pouches) inside your handbag. It makes it so much easier to transfer everything to a new bag when you need to, and it makes it much easier to find what you need when you need it!

Final suggestion: I love to pick colorful scarves as souvenirs along the way. They can really sass up an outfit: looped through jeans instead of a belt, wrapped around the handle of your (gorgeous new Italian) handbag, or tied one around a ponytail for instant chic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a ton for your response! I will definitely keep that in mind =) I especially love your comment about scarves...I'll make sure to pick a couple up! And don't worry, I will definitely acquire a pair of gorgeous Italian shoes! And I will make sure to send you guys some pics!