Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What to Wear Under a Sheer Dress

Hi She She! I have this cute bright green dress - the color might sound weird, but it really is pretty, but here is the problem: it is thin, and sheer. The thinness can be taken care of (seamless thongs), but I don't know what to do about the sheerness. If I wear it with jeans, it still looks good, but I would really like to wear it separately. It is strapless and comes down from mid thigh to right above knee; its the kind where you can adjust the length. Any suggestions for coverage and support? Thanks!

Your dress sounds darling, and you are on the right track with the no panty-line thong idea. For further coverage, because of the sheerness, my suggestion would be a strapless shapewear slip. This is how all the celebs get away with wearing sheer and skimpy dresses and still look fabulous (no lumps, bumps or panty lines!) There are several choices, some with underwire support, others with supportive padding. One of my favorites is by Donna Karan. It has a little lighter control and skims gently over your hips and things, but stays put.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Question that may sound stupid. I tried to buy one of these type things (Shapewear) and honestly...First, I could barely get it on (no matter what size I tried), and once on...I couldn't breathe. I am relatively small so I thought something would fit properly. Are they just made to fit that way? Like - suck the air out of you tight? :)

She She Me said...

It is meant to keep all of your wobbly bits from wobbling, so it is supposed to be tight, but you should still be able to breathe in one! That's why I like the Donna Karan number. It is a little more lightweight. I bought a large (even though I usually buy medium) because I hate feeling constricted. Another good choice is the Only Hearts Chemise, which is like a cross between shapewear and a regular slip. Very lightweight, but still with enough lycra to give you some support. Great for sheer dresses.

JEn said...

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

If the shapewear is too tight it sends everything north and you end up looking like you have four boobs! I like the Spanx panties that go clear up under the bust. Maybe I should try one of the full body suits!