Thursday, March 08, 2007

Chic and Smart Cruise Wear

Hi She She , I'm going on my first cruise this spring to the Caribbean. The website asks for formal or smart casual at nights. What should I bring with me? I have a few wrap dresses and fancier spring dresses. Will these do?

Such a lucky girl! My ab-fab favorite mode of vacation is a cruise! Had a bit of a snafu on my first cruise however. It was a week-long cruise and I had packed accordingly (basically every item in my closet) and, just my luck, the airline lost my luggage! I spent the first 3 days wearing a polo shirt and tennis skirt from the gift shop (emblazoned with the ship's logo) until my luggage finally caught up with me. Luckily, I had packed my new bikini and makeup in my carry-on bag, otherwise I would have been stuck poolside in a gift shop swimsuit reminiscent of a retirement home in Boca.

Anyhoo, cruise attire is fairly casual during the day, but evenings tend to be a bit more dressy. I think your wrap dresses would be perfect for the dinner and evening hours. Bear in mind that most cruises have at least one "formal" evening where you will find the women dressed in everything from cocktail dresses to formal evening gowns. I always opt for a knee length cocktail dress in a travel-friendly fabric like silk or chiffon. A pair of kick asterix skyscrapers and some gorgeous earrings and you're good to go.

1 comment:

Brianna said...

The last cruise I went on had very few women under sixty in formal wear. Cocktail dresses seem to be the norm. Also, I found it more comfortable to wear sundresses over a swimsuit during the day. That way I was prepared for sightseeing, shopping and an impromptu dip in the sea!