Friday, October 31, 2008

The Right Style for a Slender Hourglass Shape

Hello! I've always had problems finding clothing that fits well and with the current fashions it isn't getting any easier. My measurements are: shoulders 37', chest 37″, waist 27″, hip 38″. My bra size is 32 DD. My height is 5 foot 9'. What would you wear if you had my shape? Exactly what shape DO I have and WHERE do I find clothing to flatter my shape? I've always liked my body but the fact that fashions aren't very adaptable is really starting to tire me out. I really love your blog and I hope you can answer my questions and provide me with some tips on how to dress.

Hi Darling Girl!

You, my dear, are actually an elongated hourglass, which is when your bust and hips are the same size, and your waist is around 8-10 inches smaller. Not quite as much in and out variation as the true hourglass, but also a bit on the short-waisted side. Your best bet is buying separates, since you will be able to buy larger sizes to fit your shoulders and bust, and small sizes to fit your waist and hips.


With your broader shoulders you will look best in v-neck tops and dresses, button down blouses, classic blazers and cardigan type sweaters. Since you are a bit short-waisted stay away from high-waist trousers - stick with low-rise or mid-rise jeans and trousers. Do not give into the temptation of the super-low rise, however, as this style will flatten your rear view and make your shoulders look even broader.


Show your small waist to its best advantage with narrow belts and wrap-style dresses and tops.




A gorgeous look for you this winter would be a v-neck sweater dress that hits at the knee or a few inches above (show off those gorgeous legs!) paired with tights and knee-high boots.


When it comes to accessories, stick with necklaces that rest in the hollow of the throat or at the collarbone - do not wear necklaces that dangle down into your cleavage (trashy). However, an extra-long chain style necklace worn with a figure-skimming (not skin-tight)turtleneck or sweaterdress would work fine.


For footwear, make sure you wear a substantial heel or a wedge heel. Stay away from skinny, skinny stillettos or pointy toes. Stick with pumps, rounded or peep-toes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Thank you for your answer, I'm gonna go out and buy some cardigan's and a good pair of jeans now :) Love