Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bringing a Little Comfort to the Holidays


I've always said that a timeless dress, classic accessories and a killer pair of shoes is all it takes to give a girl confidence. And I stand by that. However, I've recently realized that when it comes to boosting one's confidence it's best to start with the underlying basics, and I do mean underlying. As in undies. A girl cannot expect to feel confident and self assured when she knows that underneath that spectacular little black dress, she's wearing grannie panties with a serious loss of elasticity and a brassiere that has the straps stapled on. (Don't ask.)

Case in point: this past weekend I attended a little industry "do" with my uber-chic mentor/boss, and knowing that she would look chic and stylish (because she always does) it was very important that I project a chic and stylish image as well. Anyhoo, due to an extra-long work day and an unanticipated laundry crisis I found that the only clean lingerie I had were the aforementioned ratty grannie panties and support-challenged bra. Sigh.

Oh well, no one will ever know right? And besides, I had that spectacular new lbd and those killer slingbacks to wear so it was all good. Or so I thought. Unfortunately, I had not anticipated the ineffectiveness of said grannie panties, which rode further and further up with each step I took, resulting in one wicked wedgie. And let me tell you, darlings, there is nothing that will derail a girl's confidence faster than spending an evening trying to keep her rear-view out of view in case said wedgie is actually visible through the somewhat clingy fabric of her dress. Not to mention the temptation to de-wedgie the wedgie! And I won't even go into what happened when the staples in my bra strap started poking me in the back...

Anyhoo, lesson learned! I am now fully stocked up on comfortable and invisible-beneath-the-clingy-dress panties that won't ride up, as well as several of these amazing bras with built-in concealer petals - no more headlights! Bring on the holiday parties darlings!

No comments: