Monday, November 02, 2009

When all else fails...improvise!

Don't you just love it when you have a chance to get all girlied up and strut your stuff in style? There is nothing quite like a gorgeous lbd, a pair of sexy skyscrapers and a little bling to put a big smile on my face and a little sass in my step! Which is why I was more than a little miffed to find myself in a bit of a sticky situation on my recent cruise to Cabo.

There I was, on a luxurious cruise ship with first-class accommodations (a double bed, sitting area and private balcony) all to myself. When I arrived in my room I found that the porter had already delivered my new luggage so I set about unpacking all my lovely new cruise wear, swimsuits, sundresses, cocktail dresses, sandals, stilettos, etc. I was just so excited to actually be on a real vacation for the first time in so long that I didn't realize until I was dressing for dinner that several key wardrobe items were missing from my luggage. In fact, an entire piece of luggage was missing! I couldn't believe it! I swore I would never again travel with more luggage than I could carry onto an airplane, having been the victim of the old airlines-have-lost-my-luggage scene once too often. Yet here I was, on a cruise, with a fabulous new wardrobe, and nary an "unmentionable" to be found in my possession (other than the tighty-whities I had on!)

But, as I have mentioned on more than one occasion, I am a glass-is-half-full-let's-make-lemonade kind of girl, so I did what any fashionista with a lick of sense and a black bikini would do. (Although I have to admit that a lycra bandeau bikini top does not really offer the full support one would require for an 80's disco dance contest, even if I did win the trophy!)

Anyhoo, I learned a valuable lesson - always carry spare skivvies, and if the need arises, swimwear can do double duty. Oh, and it turns out that the airline didn't lose my luggage after all...the bag was still in the trunk of my car! Oh well, all's well that ends well. And now I have a whole new selection of lovely little lacies to enjoy now that the vacay is over. Bonus!

No comments: