Where was I? Oh yes, springtime...and stress. I mean, whose idea was it to schedule swimsuit season right on the heels of Easter? Seriously? Chocolate bunnies and teeny bikinis have never been the best of friends. Although I now understand what my mother meant when she cautioned me about moderation: "Dahling, the Easter Bunny may have left you an entire bag of mini truffle eggs but that doesn't mean you have to eat them all at once or all by yourself!" Words to live by.
So life is stressful, I think we can all agree on that. And stress can have harmful effects on us physically and emotionally. So it stands to reason that the best thing to do is to outsmart the effects of stress, right? Here are a few helpful tips for doing just that:
- Just breathe. It sounds so simple, right? When you are starting to feel a bit stressed out, a few deep cleansing breaths help clear your mind and calm your soul.
- Exercise. Physical activity releases endorphins, which in turn counteracts the negative effects of stress. Just 30 minutes a day can make a huge difference! Walking, hiking, biking, yoga or even dancing will boost your heart rate and get those endorphins flowing
- Meditation, yoga or tai chi are all excellent ways to relax your body and your mind. I've been doing yoga for the past year and can attest to the benefits, both physical and mental! My joints are more flexible, my stamina has increased, and I find it much easier to clear my mind and meditate, which is very relaxing.
- Simplify. A packed schedule can cause stress just thinking about it! Don't overbook yourself or your time. Eliminate less important commitments and give yourself some breathing room.
- Take time for yourself. This is the most important item of all. Set aside a specific amount of time each day to do something you love - reading, writing, crafting, watching old movies, whatever makes you smile. Meet your girlfriends for lunch, get a massage or a mani/pedi - do something that makes you happy!
By following these few simple tips you will be able to deal with life's little (or big) stresses more easily and effectively. And remember to smile pretty and try not to break too many hearts!
Sun exposure, free-radicals, environmental toxins and a busy lifestyle can rob your skin of essential
nourishment, resulting in noticeably stressed skin that looks dry, tired and blotchy. The AVEENO® SMART ESSENTIALS™ Collection, formulated with ACTIVE NATURALS® Southerwood, keeps
environmental stress out and keeps essential nourishment and moisture in. The collection features a
full regimen of daily skincare products that cleanse, nourish, protect and treat stressed skin, leaving it
nourished and refreshed. For more information, visit Aveeno.com.
“Disclosure: Compensation was provided by AVEENO® SMART ESSENTIALS™ via Glam Media”
“The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or
positions of AVEENO® SMART ESSENTIALS™”