Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Time Saving Tips for the Busy Mom

It seems that life just keeps getting busier and crazier!  Do you ever feel like you are juggling while jogging on a treadmill?  I know I do, or at least I used to, but once I started to work smarter instead of harder I found that my life went much more smoothly.  In fact, I have even been able to carve out a little niche of time here and there just for me (mani/pedi anyone?)  Here are a few of my favorite ways to save time and keep on track:


Night Prep: Every night I set out everything that I will need to get me out the door on time the next morning including my entire ensemble, right down to accessories, that way I am not rushing around trying to find a missing earring or scarf.  For moms, this also means making sure book bags, lunch boxes and sports equipment are ready to go. Packing lunches the night before is a huge time saver!

Charging Station: This is a great way to keep all your electronics together and charged. My friend, Whitney (mother of four!) says that her kids all turn their cellphones in to her at bedtime and she charges them in her room so they are ready to go in the morning. This is also a great way to make sure your kids don't stay up at night texting their friends!

Lists: I am a big list maker - and I love checking things off! This is another thing I do every evening - I make a list of what needs to be done the next day so I can prepare. This gives me a way to review and prioritize, and delete the unnecessary.  It also frees my mind so I don't lie in bed wondering what I might forget!

Key Hook: I found a fun vintage style key holder that I installed by my pantry door - when I walk in the door at the end of the day I immediately hang my keys on the hook. I never have to search madly for my keys - they are always on the hook!

Multi-task: Honestly, I am the master of multi-tasking! I catch up on the news (or What Not To Wear) while riding my exercise bike or running on the treadmill. On the days I am able to go hiking or running out-of-doors I listen to audiobooks on my iPod.

Crock Pot: Seriously, I just discovered the joys of the Crock Pot! I stumbled across a great Facebook page with tons of fantastic recipes for absolutely everything you can cook in a crock pot. It just takes a few extra minutes in the morning to toss in the ingredients and set it to simmer through the day. And the aroma of hot chicken soup as I walk in the door after a long work day is so comforting!

 Try incorporating just a few time (and sanity!) saving tricks into your life and see how much better you feel!

No comments: