Wednesday, December 10, 2014

How to Train Like a Pro Surfer with Tia Blanco

We've all seen them, the long, lean, gorgeous girls of summer.  I'm talking about those amazing surfer girls with their finesse and sheer grace who make it all look so easy.  But surfing is anything but easy.  It takes dedication, stamina and innate athleticism combined with intense training and an impeccable sense of balance, both physically and mentally to be able to surf at a professional level.  We've got Tia Blanco, pro surfer and Ambassador for REEF footwear here to share her tips on training like a pro surfer:


To be a pro surfer you have to stay dedicated and work very hard. I train twice a week with my trainer at Forged In Fitness. My trainer and I work on getting my legs and core strong. For my legs I do plenty of tuck jumps, forward lunges, and mountain climbers and for my core we hold planks, do pikes, and curl ups.  For surfing it is also important to work on your hip and ankle mobility. We are constantly engaging my hips in my exercises and we use a stretching band to work my ankle mobility. I also like to go on a long distance runs at least once a week to build up endurance. Along with that, I love to go to yoga consistently throughout the week. Stretching is very important because you do not want your muscles to be tight while you are surfing. My surfing always feels stronger and looser after yoga. I usually go surfing everyday.



 Surfing is a fun and great way to stay active. It is good for the mind, body and soul.  Whatever I am doing, I never can go a day without being active. I always want to stay active and be in good shape because if I am not, it can affect my results in competition. The ocean is constantly changing and throwing new things at you, so it is smart to be prepared and ready for it. For example, if the current in the water is strong that would involve a lot of paddling and running around.  Next, eating healthy plays a key role in being a pro surfer because what you eat is your fuel. I think it is important to become fueled with healthy foods so you can surf at your highest level.  I eat a vegan diet that consists of eating lots of fresh/clean foods. My diet includes a lot of fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, legumes, and fruit. These clean foods help me to stay nourished and compete at my highest capacity.  By staying active and healthy you can train like a pro surfer.




More About Tia Blanco

Blanco, a Trestles local, has become one of the hottest up and coming West Coast surfers. Being a daughter of a Coast Guard, Blanco was born in Puerto Rico and has lived in Hawaii as well as several spots in Southern California. This graceful goofyfoot is a member of the prestigious Surfing America team. She also an Ambassador for Reef¹s boots, shoes, and fashion-forward sandals that combine exotic styling with instant comfort.  Additionally, Blanco is committed to Surfing America Prime and NSSA events, she is extremely well rounded, enjoying painting and yoga while living a vegan lifestyle. While she is focused on a National title and maintaining her 4.0 GPA at Connections Academy, her long term goal is to make the ASP Women¹s World Tour.

Instagram:  @tiablanco
Twitter:  @tia_blanco

No comments: