Friday, April 29, 2011
Well, I stayed up all night and watched the Royal Wedding of William and Catherine, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. And I loved every minute of it!
Kate's dress was reminiscent of Grace Kelly, lace overlay, long sleeved, simple with a long train and absolutely exquisite embroidery at the hem. A tiara and chiffon veil completed the look. She did her own makeup for the day and she look positively radiant!
Heartfelt good wishes and love to the royal couple!
All brides want flawless and glowing skin on their wedding day. But in an effort to look and feel especially beautiful, soon-to-be brides often splurge on beauty treatments that they haven't done before, says Mike Sendogan, Clinical Director of LaserTouch Aesthetics, a luxury medspa in SoHo and Midtown Manhattan: www.lasertouchsoho.com. Any beauty treatment that you're trying for the first time should be done a minimum of two weeks before your wedding day to give any unexpected reactions or irritations time to fade. According to LaserTouch Aesthetics, below are four wedding-week DON’TS:
1. Botox. Botox takes four to five days to kick in, and you wouldn't want to discover one day before the wedding that a brow has dropped or elevated unattractively.
2. Chemical Peels. This type of facial is designed to dissolve dead skin cells and reveal brighter skin. It also helps erase fine lines and lighten dark blotches for a more even-toned complexion. Do this at least two weeks before your wedding day because even a gentle chemical peel can cause drying that may be annoying to apply makeup over.
3. Fillers. Lip plumping is popular with brides, but filler in the lips can look swollen initially—which is not very photogenic. All fillers can also cause bruising that may last up to two weeks, so be sure to give yourself time to heal.
4. Microdermabrasion. Microdermabrasion, which uses a machine to buff skin, is also a commonly sought-after pre wedding beauty treatment. Mike suggests not going the week before your wedding day because side effects may include redness, sensitivity, and breakouts. Avoid that stress by consulting with a professional three months before your wedding day to come up with a personalized routine.
Thursday, April 28, 2011
The big day for Kate Middleton is almost here! Hard to imagine becoming a royal princess, but the gals at Unique Vintage can definitely dream, that's why they put together these fabulous royalty-worthy white wedding looks from their wedding dress collection.
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Here at Gilt, we think it's important to pay tribute to all of the everyday heroes who are working to make the world a more beautiful place. And no one fits the bill better than the mothers in our lives. So, as Mother's Day approaches we've been brainstorming how best to celebrate all they've accomplished - and all they've helped us accomplish along the way.
For our big Mother's Day Sale, which will last from April 28th to May 6th, we'll have some of our favorite perfumes by Versace and Hanse Mori, amazing accessories by Missoni and Furla, elegant jewelry from Tara Pearls and Judith Ripka, plus luxe cashmere, loungewear, and other finds from Design History, Natori and more.
Meanwhile, Jetsetter is coming up with some amazing destinations for those looking to give Mom a trip, whether you think she'd like a relaxing getaway in Napa or the trip of a lifetime to Paris. You can also take advantage of Jetsetter's new Travel Planning Service. Gift mom a voucher for Mother's Day, and they'll help her plan the trip of her dreams. Want to get her something a little more timeless? Go classic with a gorgeous, show-stopping bouquet by Teleflora, with whom we're excited to be partnering for the very first time this year.
In advance of the big sale, we're also calling on all our members to share stories about what makes their own mothers the ultimate heroes. Got some inspiration to share? Head over to the Gilt Facebook Page to join the conversation. We'll feature some of the most inspired stories on Gilt.com the day of the sale.
So mark your calendars for our big Mother's Day Event April 28th at noon. See you there!
Monday, April 25, 2011
The royal wedding is just a few days away... and while there is a ton of speculation surrounding the gown, what makeup look will Kate be going for?
Kate will definitely have a dedicated makeup artist at the wedding on Friday to make sure all her photos are picture perfect - but what about the rest of us? Bridal Makeup Finish by Skindinavia is the next best thing! This setting spray - applied over finished makeup - helps makeup last 16 hours.
This setting spray boasts a patent-pending Temperature Control Technology that keeps makeup from melting when it's warm and humid or becoming dehydrated when it’s cold and windy. Yes, it actually lowers the temperature of your makeup to hold foundation, eyeshadow, blush and concealer in place! (Perfect for the rainy high-humidity fog of London right now!)
That means no meltdowns and fewer touchups, which is especially great for the budget-conscious bride. It's 16+ hours of touch-up free makeup.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Starting this year, Avalon Organics’ new eco-friendly packaging will be derived from approximately 4 million plastic bottles that would have otherwise ended up in a California landfill. Plus, all of Avalon Organics Shampoos, Conditioners, Bath & Shower Gels, Hand Soaps and Hand & Body Lotions are formulated with at least 70% organic content to reduce the harmful effects that chemicals can have on our bodies as well as the environment.
Avalon Organics nourishing bath products are available in a variety of scents – from invigoration lemon to soothing lavender. Celebrate Earth Day by treating yourself today!
From left to right: Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo ($9.45), Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Conditioner ($9.45) Avalon Organics Lavender Hand & Body Lotion ($11.45) and Avalon Organics Peppermint Glycerin Hand Soap ($7.95)
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Monday, April 18, 2011
Where was I? Oh yes, springtime...and stress. I mean, whose idea was it to schedule swimsuit season right on the heels of Easter? Seriously? Chocolate bunnies and teeny bikinis have never been the best of friends. Although I now understand what my mother meant when she cautioned me about moderation: "Dahling, the Easter Bunny may have left you an entire bag of mini truffle eggs but that doesn't mean you have to eat them all at once or all by yourself!" Words to live by.
So life is stressful, I think we can all agree on that. And stress can have harmful effects on us physically and emotionally. So it stands to reason that the best thing to do is to outsmart the effects of stress, right? Here are a few helpful tips for doing just that:
- Just breathe. It sounds so simple, right? When you are starting to feel a bit stressed out, a few deep cleansing breaths help clear your mind and calm your soul.
- Exercise. Physical activity releases endorphins, which in turn counteracts the negative effects of stress. Just 30 minutes a day can make a huge difference! Walking, hiking, biking, yoga or even dancing will boost your heart rate and get those endorphins flowing
- Meditation, yoga or tai chi are all excellent ways to relax your body and your mind. I've been doing yoga for the past year and can attest to the benefits, both physical and mental! My joints are more flexible, my stamina has increased, and I find it much easier to clear my mind and meditate, which is very relaxing.
- Simplify. A packed schedule can cause stress just thinking about it! Don't overbook yourself or your time. Eliminate less important commitments and give yourself some breathing room.
- Take time for yourself. This is the most important item of all. Set aside a specific amount of time each day to do something you love - reading, writing, crafting, watching old movies, whatever makes you smile. Meet your girlfriends for lunch, get a massage or a mani/pedi - do something that makes you happy!
By following these few simple tips you will be able to deal with life's little (or big) stresses more easily and effectively. And remember to smile pretty and try not to break too many hearts!
Sun exposure, free-radicals, environmental toxins and a busy lifestyle can rob your skin of essential
nourishment, resulting in noticeably stressed skin that looks dry, tired and blotchy. The AVEENO® SMART ESSENTIALS™ Collection, formulated with ACTIVE NATURALS® Southerwood, keeps
environmental stress out and keeps essential nourishment and moisture in. The collection features a
full regimen of daily skincare products that cleanse, nourish, protect and treat stressed skin, leaving it
nourished and refreshed. For more information, visit Aveeno.com.
“Disclosure: Compensation was provided by AVEENO® SMART ESSENTIALS™ via Glam Media”
“The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or
positions of AVEENO® SMART ESSENTIALS™”
In honor of Earth Day 2011, eco-gorgeous brand Lavanila Laboratories wants you to help them plant a forest! For each new “LIKE” received on their Facebook page (Lavanila Laboratories) on April 21st and April 22nd (Earth Day), Lavanila will plant one tree through their long-time partnership with The Nature Conservancy. These new saplings will be a welcome addition to their ongoing, evergreen (pun intended) initiative of planting a tree for each purchase made on www.lavanila.com.
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Monday, April 11, 2011
Thursday, April 07, 2011
Wednesday, April 06, 2011
Spring is just around the corner and we could all use a new pair of shoes!
Three (3) winners will be chosen. Each will win one pair of Franco Sarto shoes from the Spring 2011 collection.
- Prize Eligibility
- Only persons residing in United States who are at least 18 years of age can enter.
- Sweepstakes Starts
- April 01, 2011 @ 08:00 am (CDT)
- Sweepstakes Ends
- April 07, 2011 @ 11:59 pm (CDT)
More than the name of a footwear brand, Franco Sarto the man, is the driving inspiration and passion behind the actual designs. Born in a small town outside of Venice, Italy, Sarto’s passion struck early. By the age of 14, Franco was working in a shoe factory where his job was to sit on a stool and hand–last shoes with a hammer and nails. It is Franco Sarto’s start as a cobbler—and his passion as a designer—that makes him a rarity in the business. He designs his shoes both with the sweat and blood of a technician and the grace and beauty of a world-renowned fashion designer. To this day, Sarto hand sketches many of his designs and is well known for his drawings during public appearances. While the technician in him continually pushes to make shoes as comfortable as possible, the other side of Franco Sarto lives for fashion. He understands a woman’s undying passion for shoes and is dedicated to keeping that passion alive by crafting beautiful shoes that bring joy to women around the world.